What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I believe in people... well, sometimes

I realize I haven't written in ages. If you didn't notice, or even worse, noticed and didn't miss me, please don't tell me. It'll just make me sad….

It seems to be a season for engagements. Two of my friends and a cousin all got engaged over the holidays (although not, of course, to one another). The Hallmark people love me.
I'm being torn by my own Pollyanna-ness. Reality vs always wanting to believe the best of people. See, here's the deal. I won't name names, to protect the guilty, but a few months ago I was home from a night out too early to go to sleep, but too tipsy to be productive. So I decided wouldn't it be fun to go on Yahoo Personals? Who knew who I'd find???
Yeah, that's where the problem comes in. Because this guy, let's call him Guy, had an ad on there. The ad said Guy was single, and lived with roommates. "Hmm, roommates?," I asked myself. "Is that what we're calling the long-term girlfriend and her kids he lives with?" Because I know them.
And it wasn't an outdated, years-old ad. No, Yahoo handily tells the reader how long it's been since the ad owner logged on. In Guy's case, it had been days. So I stewed and hemmed and hawed, and finally decided not to tell the girlfriend. For the sake of this blog, we'll call her Girlfriend. But I saw the couple recently, and Girlfriend was wearing a shiny new engagement ring. I waited until we were alone and I said to Guy, "Guy, I'm not sure if you know this, but you have an active Personal ad on Yahoo Personals."
Guy, naturally, expresses shock. "No", he says. "I had no idea."
Me: "I figured you musn't know, that's why I wanted to tell you."
Guy: "I have to take care of that."
Me, pointedly: "Yes, you do."
Exit me, stage left.
Now back to the Pollyanna-ness. I want to believe it was an innocent mistake. Maybe it was an old ad that he visits every son often to see the matches. Because who doesn't like a good ego boost now and then?? And I love a happy ending. But there's this little voice telling me that something's fishy… I want to believe the best in people. But sometimes people make it hard.

No comments: