What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

That Makes Me Happy

In high school, my friend Liam used to always say, whenever he liked something, "that makes me happy." Very simple. Just a declaration of happiness. And I always loved that best about him, because I feel like people just don't do that, don't just decide, in the moment, to be happy. Somewhere in a box I still have a greeting card from my friend Amy, wishing me "a lifetime of Liam-like happiness." So, like all good ideas, I stole it. And I've spent my life trying to take those moments to just be glad, and to regularly declare, "that makes me happy."

For the past couple of weeks, I've been in a funk. Remember that Flintstones episode, where there's the guy with the rain storm that just follows him around all the time? Yeah, I've been that girl lately. I've felt bad about my job, my body, my life…But no more. I've had enough of that crap. I watched The Secret this weekend, and just made a decision to be happy. And once you set your mind to being in a good mood, you are. Funny how that works…

Actual exchange with my sister Mich yesterday:
Me: Yay!
Mich: Yay what?
Me: Nothing. I've just committed myself to being happy and grateful.
Her: You are a horse of a different color… and I mean that in only the nicest way.
Me: What color? Can I be pink? If I'm going to be another color, I'd want to be pick
Her: Sure. It would definitely be something cheerful and bright.

For those of you who haven't read The Secret, the premise is that the universe is governed by the Law of Attraction. If you send positive thoughts and feelings into the universe, that's what will come back to you. As much as I hate New Age anything, this one really makes sense. Plus, it appeals to my innate Pollyanna-ness. Has anyone else heard about this?

No comments: