What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hold the Frankincense

It's official. My mother is not going to be the Messiah's grandmother. Phew.

Okay, maybe I should explain. See, this may be an overshare, but a few months ago, I just stopped getting my period. Entirely. No period. My friends told me I should go to the doctor, but I said, "Nah. It's probably just a fluke. It'll come next month." Then October came, and not so much. No period.

Now, there was a time in my life that 2 missed periods in a row would have sent me crying, big, gulping sobs, into the nearest drugstore to buy a stick I could pee on. But this is not one of those times. And as Polly says, "Miracle no happen."

So I made an appointment to see my doctor to find out what was going on. And when I told my mother about it, I said, "I may be pregnant. But if I am, they're going to be talking about it in church for centuries. Just think! You could be the Messiah's Memere! Wouldn't that be cool??"

Mom: "No." She's a great lady, my mother, but she doesn't always appreciate my sense of humor.

So it turns out everything is fine, and occasionally a woman who's been on the pill for a while will just stop getting her period. And it's totally normal. No baby. No period. Kind of the best of both worlds, no?

My mom's next question, because yes, Virginia, she really is that naive, was "What were you put on the pill for in the first place?" There is a time and a place for honesty. This was not that time. And generally speaking, anywhere my mother is is not that place. She knows about the blog. I've shown it to her. I've read entries to her. But she doesn't read it, because she prefers her impressions of my life to come filtered and modified into a version rated M for Mom. So I did the only kind thing I could under the circumstances. I lied. I think she would have wanted it that way.


p.s. There was a moment when I was seriously tempted to answer that question with "Hope springs eternal." But I had a feeling that was another one of those jokes she just wouldn't appreciate...

8 comments:

Laura G said...

A funny one! I like the funny ones. And that one made me laugh out loud. Your mom's naivete is just adorable.

My mom knows I have sex (or at least that I have had it before). And my punishment for telling her was that when I told her she tried to explain sex to me and told me that I should be having orgasms. Because if I don't my boyfriend is selfish. And do I know what an orgasm is? She did this while we were driving. I contemplated opening the door on the highway and taking my chances with the oncoming traffic. I sat there at 17 years of age with my hands over my ears humming loudly as my mom talked with me in DETAIL about sex.

Consider yourself lucky that your mom buries her head in the sand.

And thanks for the laugh :)

Diosa said...

There are such vast differences between your mom and my mom, I just can't even imagine. Mine tried to put me on the pill BEFORE I'd had sex. The doctor wouldn't do it until I'd had a full internal and they wouldn't do that until my hymen was broken. So basically, she was just waiting for me to tell her I'd lost my virginity so she could rush me back to the gyno.

Dina R. D'Alessandro said...

This:

"And generally speaking, anywhere my mother is is not that place"

is classic.

Thanks for the overshare!

Anonymous said...

Thats too bad, I think a little bookgirl would be so much fun!!!

just think: Baby Bookgirl in the city!

Your Mom sounds so sweet. And if you ever brag about no period again.... that's just not nice.

Unknown said...

I bet your mom knows that you aren't a virgin. I just bet. You're the youngest of FIVE girls, but you aren't exactly fifteen.

Bookgirl said...

Oh, she knows. But that doesn't mean we have to talk about it.

The Dol said...

Omigod that was funny. Thanks for the laugh today, Bookgirl.

Unknown said...

You Really are too Much....