What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ode to Apple Loaf, A Poem


Sunday was our annual girls-only trip upstate to go apple picking. My friend Adriana, who we call Schnapps, makes this thing called Apple Loaf. It's like heaven and apples baked together into loafy goodness. I can't describe it, except to say that it's like crack, and no one but her makes it.

Every year with our picked apples, she makes these amazing loaves, and I get some. Except for the year that her thieving husband, John, ate mine because I didn't make it over to get it quickly enough, and he found it in the fridge. That bastatrd. I'm still bitter.

But anyway, I wrote this special poem for her last year, as a thank you for both the apple loaf and for hiding my piece from John. I think the poem has held up well over time....

Ode to Apple Loaf
How do I love thee, apple loaf?
Let me count the ways

I love that you're moist and squishy,
while maintaining a breadlike consistency
I love that I got a piece of you
before you ended up all in John's belly

I love that you're perfect for dinner
when I'm too tired to cook
I love that you're there at breakfast
In a house, you'd go in that nook

I love that you're a reminder
Of how much my Schnappses loves me
I'll bet you that if I fell down,
You'd be better even than a kiss on the knee

So thank you, apple loaf
And thanks to my friend
I'll be singing your praises,loafie
Right till the end


p.s. Yes, I was stone sober when I wrote this.

7 comments:

Diosa said...

Really good baking deserves a poem. My sister baked peanut butter chocolate chip cookies last week. I'm still working off the calories.

Unknown said...

I would comment on this but I'm too busy being bitter that you ate all my apple loaf. I mean, you must have, because you had some and I've had none.

Bookgirl said...

Di, Peanut butter chocolate cookies are my very favorite. I'm jealous. And I want the recipe.

Polly, It's not that I'm selfish. It's just that it would go bad by the time it got to you if I mailed it. Really.

Lori G. said...

You've reminded me that I need to make apple sauce from the apples my dear old mother sent me. (They are cooking apples, not eating apples.)

The apple loaf sounds very very good. (As does the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies...mmm)

Great poem. It's way better than my version of Robert Frost's poem saluting Whole Foods. LOL

Anne M. said...

Now you've done it. I want apple loaf and I don't even know the person who can make it much less get on the list of apple loaf eaters.

Guess I'll have to make do with homemade applesauce. But it's not the same.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I just registered and wanted to pop in and introduce myself to the
. Let me just say that it is a awesome forum that you have here.

Here are some other web sites and blogs that might be of interest to you.

[url=http://skintoday.info]skintoday.info[/url] - skintoday.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareblog.info[/url] - skincareblog.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skinsmart.info[/url] - skinsmart.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareshop.info[/url] - skincareshop.info

skin care products and tips and tricks

Anonymous said...

atlanta singles [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]youth dating prayer[/url] dating on line http://loveepicentre.com/ wales dating