What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Springtime in New York

Maybe it's arrogant, but I can't help it. It happens every year. Spring makes me feel bad for anyone who doesn't live in New York. Right now, the city is at its absolute best. It's gorgeous out, the weather is perfect, the flowers are in bloom.

And I know some of you (Polly) will brag that you always have nice weather, but I truly believe that this is still better. Because we appreciate it more. After another long, cold, snowy winter (okay, not so snowy this year, but whatever), we have EARNED the spring. We're all so grateful for the warmth and the sun that everyone's a little nicer, a little happier, a little more alive.

I wanted to be outside on Saturday, but didn't want to have to go somewhere (Oh, how I wish I had a backyard), so I got my first pedicure of the season, threw on some flip flops, and just wandered around my neighborhood like a homeless person. I walked aimlessly, stopping into stores where I didn't buy anything, window shopped. It was lovely.

I've already had my first margarita at the restuarant with the best outdoor seating. (When in doubt, if it's between the months of April and October and you can't find me, check there.) And today, I got to wear the favorite of all Bookgirl wardrobe items--open-toed shoes. Sigh. My little toesies were so happy to be free again. It's good to be me this week, my friends. Very, very good to be me.



p.s. Liz, I know how happy the view from my office makes you, so I took the photo from a different angle today so you could see a little of Times Square. Who loves ya, baby?

p.p.s. I know there hasn't been a Weight Watchers update in months, but that's because the numbers were going in the wrong direction. Not exactly brag-worthy. But I weighed in today for the first time in a couple of weeks and lost 4.8 pounds. Did I mention how much I love spring?!?!?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You do earn it. And your feet look really pretty, blister free. Let's be nice to them this summer.

Unknown said...

Your Feet always make me jealous. They are just Perfect. Spring truely is earned.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of that view! We drove through NY City Saturday (terrible traffic btw!) and I was thinking of you! Aimee

Laura G said...

you may have more shoes than anyone i know besides my sister, Seriously. i feel so unfashionable next to you. i own like 10 pairs of shoes. these include: work shoes (all black low heel), dress shoes(sandals for weddings and things), sneakers, summer casual sandals. You proabably own 10 pairs of each.

Laura G said...

Wait let me correct that. You own MORE than 10 pairs of each. lots more.

island girl said...

There is nothing like happy, free and newly polished toes on the first warm day of the season!

Diosa said...

Spring time in NY, definitely brag-worthy. Spring time in RI is pretty sweet too. Pretty toes and cute shoes!

Dina R. D'Alessandro said...

Yay for open-toed shoes!

Bookgirl said...

Polly, I've stopped wearing shoes that make me bleed. I can't decide if that means I'm being kinder to myself, or just that I'm old.

Sarah, And remember, spring means camping season is coming. And camping season means a whole lot of me in RI.

Aimee, the traffic is rarely easy, but on Saturday the pope was in town. So you got it on a particularly horrific day. Half the city was on lockdown.

Midge, I don't have THAT many... And I wear the same ones most of the time anyway.

Island girl, Welcome to the party!

Di, You earned it way more than we did. Every time you got snow, we just got cold rain.

Dina, And you know cute shoes... You're so lucky I have big feet, or I'd be borrowing them all the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bookgirl. I want to come back to New York sososossooooooooo badly. We have the same sense of entitlement to Spring here in Ohio, too. I know my mood is always lifted and theres always that extra bounce in my step each April.

And I had a mani and pedi on Saturday too.

PS- is it late at night or early in the morning that it's so dark outside your office?

Emily said...

Oh man it really is gorgeous here now. I love this City. Congrats on the 4.8 pounds! That's awesome and you totally are worth all the time it's taking. Now that the weather's nice and I've stopped hibernating, we really should hang out sometime, like we keep saying. See you on Monday?