What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Be a Dancer

The world is made up of dancers and critics, and I'm more committed than ever to being one of the dancers.

See, I just got back from this weekend workshop. Or training. Or class. Or retreat, depending on who I was talking to and what I felt like calling it. But it was a life-changing, eye-opening, kick-in-the-ass, make-me-look-at-the-whole-world differently experience.

The weekend was designed, among other things,to help me figure out what it is that I really, in my heart, want most out of life. And just a hint? Me, little miss I live in my office, my job is my whole world? It turns out that having my career be my whole life isn't it. Surprise!

Midge did the Momentum training last year, and has been trying to convince me to do it ever since. My response, of course, was something along the lines of "not so much." But in February, when I was in that funk and felt like I was drowning, she tried once more. And I grabbed on like someone had thrown me a life raft. A month later, when it came time to actually go, however, it was a totally different story. She kept emailing me to ask if I was excited. I ignored her emails. Because seriously, how was this something to be excited about?? Finally she called me the day my training was set to start, and I couldn't avoid the question anymore. No, I was not excited. What I really was was nauseated. What if I hated it? What if it was stupid? What if I didn't like the other people? What if they didn't like me? What if? What if? What if?

I was wrong. She was right. There, I'm saying it. In print even. Because I am not the same person I was when I walked in that door on Thursday. I learned about how I feel, how I look at the world. I made new friends, I made peace with with crap I've been carrying for a decade. I opened up and let go and learned about myself. And more important than anything else, I came face to face with the way I treat other people, and how very differently I treat myself. It seems that just about the only person in my life who didn't think I was fabulous was me. Yeah, I'm working on that...

10 comments:

Liss said...

Isn't that always the way it goes? The most important opinion is always the most harsh and unrealistic. I am glad you are seeing how fabulous you are. If so many people say it, it must be true, right?

Unknown said...

You're a total rockstar!

Laura G said...

I'm not going to say i told you so. Especially not as a comment on your blog. But I love you and i'm glad you got what you needed out of the Basic. Here's to the rest of your life, with your eyes wide open! :)

Unknown said...

Your the Best There Ever Was!

Diosa said...

Keep up the forward momentum Bookgirl! Recognizing you own self-worth is just about the most important and most life-changing experience a person can have. And you are no less than incredible.

Anonymous said...

Wow, B thats awesome. Can I get some of that?

Bhairavi Andrea said...

You are the best thing since cooked food!! LOL

Let no one tell you otherwise. I am so glad that your eyes have opened up and I love your Blog!! Are you ready for Advanced?

Love you.
Drea

Bookgirl said...

Thanks so much everyone for the support!
Although I really wasn't searching for compliments, I swear!!

Lissful, that's what I keep telling myself.

Polly, I learned from the master.

Laura, again. Thank you. And everyone, Laura is really Midge. She just likes to use her real name. She's funny that way.

Sarah, No. You are.

Di, Being called incredible by someone who's passing calculus is a huge compliment.

Liz, of course you can have some. Come to new York. Take the class. Stay in my apartment.

See, I'm so glad we're taking the Advanced together!!!

Working Mom said...

That sounds wonderful Bookgirl, though we missed you at book club! We've always got a little momentum there too.

Anonymous said...

What is the class? I'm so there....