What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Sweater

My sister Jean had this favorite sweater. It was hot pink, white, and black stripes. It was a hoody that zipped up. I LOVED this sweater. I called it the Good -n- Plenty sweater, because it was those exact same colors. It sounds ugly, I know, but it wasn't. Did I mention I really loved this sweater? I convinced her to go back to the store and buy one for me, but they were all out. Every time time I saw her wearing it, I lusted for it in my heart. I'm not proud of it, but it's true. I coveted my sister's sweater.

When Christmas came a year later, we were both broke. I was paying off my credit card debt, and she was buying a new house, so we decided to do "gifts from the heart," which basically means something handmade or with sentimental value that costs little to no money. And my sister made the ultimate sacrifice. She wrapped up her favorite sweater and gave it to me. Talk about a tangible symbol of how much I'm loved--it's absolutely impossible to wear the sweater and not feel comforted.

For two years I've loved that sweater, but it came up in conversation recently, and she confessed that she still misses it. And there was only one thing to do. I wrapped it up and gave it to back her as one of her Christmas presents.
It turns out you really can wrap up love and put it under the tree.

8 comments:

J said...

Oh.My.God. They still have that carpeting!!!!

Bookgirl said...

J, that carpeting is practically brand new. They've only had it since 1981. The dining room carpeting on the other hand, well I'm pretty sure itr predates me.

J said...

Stop making me wet myself!

Bookgirl said...

I hear Kegels can work wonders...

J said...

They don't work a bit when you make me laugh that hard.

But heh, it looks like the couch (chair?) behind Jean might be new....

Bookgirl said...

Funny thing about that chair. Yes, it's new, but only because my niece somehow inherited it from her grandmother, and lent it to my parents because my dad needed to sleep in a recliner the winter he had the double knee replacement. Then she refused to let them give it back. They've had it for years, but they still have hand towels over the arms so they don't accidentally get it dirty in case she decides she wants it back. You actually thought they had bought new furniture, didn't you? That's so cute....

J said...

I always did love your parents :) Do they still have your Cure posters on the wall in your bedroom too?

Lori G. said...

What a sweet story!