What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

You Ain't Mickey


Dear Mr. Mouse,

Listen up, you little bastard. Me and you, we’re going to have a throwdown. And I’m going to win. You know why? Because I’m bigger, and I have technology on my side. I have traps. Where are your traps? Oh, right. You don’t have any. Suckah.

New York City is a big place, and there’s room enough for the both of us. My loathing for your kind has never been a secret, but up until now we’ve been okay. I stuck to my turf. You all stuck to yours. When I saw you on the street or in the park, I didn’t cause trouble. Because hey, I wasn’t defending my territory. But coming right out into my living room in front of my roommate? With the lights and the television on? Not smart, Mickey. Not. Smart.

I asked around to get people’s opinions on the glue trap vs. traditional trap questions, and they started talking about which kind was more humane. (You might not want to read this part, Dol, bless your Buddhist heart.) But let me make this clear. I’m not looking for the method that will be the most kind. I’m looking for the one that will get you the most dead.

It didn’t have to be this way. If you had stayed outside, or even in the walls where I couldn’t see you, we would have been okay. You could have played happily with your vermin friends until you reached a ripe old age. But this is war. And remember, you started it. It’s on.

10 comments:

The Dol said...

We are having a... yuck... rat problem in our shed right now. Yes, we had to find the most humane method. My husband was going to do the Have-A-Heart traps, but then his dilemma was, Where do you release your captured rats that doesn't cause someone else to have to deal with them, and also doesn't cause you to have to drive 2 hours in the company of a rat just to get to the woods? So, Mr. Dol settled on little electrocution traps, after reading up on the options. We didn't like the idea of something that might snap down on a rat and injure it but not kill it, especially because they are in the shed, where we aren't likely to check as often as you might in your house.

Sorry to hear about your unwanted guests. They creep the hell out of me.

Anonymous said...

The glue traps are horrible. They definitely don't kill the mouse, he'll just lay there gasping and dying slowly. At least with traditional, he's got a chance of being killed instantly.

Jane Doe said...

In my experience, the traditional traps work rather well.

J said...

Even though I live in the country, thus far our vermin issues have all been outside and, even then, only meadow voles. Easily solved (Thank you Mr. Meadow Vole Man).

I have no advice other than thick soled shoes.

Good luck.

Bookgirl said...

I went with glue traps, since that's the only thing my supermarket sells in mouse size. Although they did have more choices in "rat." Ewww.

I put them up the day before yesterday, and so far nothing. I've decided to imterpret that as "our mouse hasn't come back." My roommate seems to think I'm dreaming, but if so, it's a dream I like. Please don't wake me.

J, Is there really such a thing as a meadow vole? Admit it. You made that up.

Anonymous said...

I used the glue trap, NEVER AGAIN. I caught mine. My husband (the rat BASTARD) left work knowing it was stuck to the trap. Of course I couldn’t leave it there all day and when I went to get rid of it the mouse was still alive. It looked like ithad belly flopped onto the trap. Well it was looking at me with those big, sad, dark eyes (yes I had to check it out closely because I have always wanted to get a close look) and its little, pink nose was twitching and I practically burst into tears. I tried wacking it against the deck to put it out of its misery but that didn’t work. I almost called daddy to see what to do (It ended up he called me later and I would not have followed his advice because he would have told me to flip it upside down and stomp on it). Jeremy ended up shooting it in the head with the BB gun. Boy, I hope you have a better mouse experience than me.

Bookgirl said...

Let it be know that the sister previously known as Jean will from now on be known as Countrygirl. I would go back and change it in previous entries, but I talk about her a lot. And I'm lazy.

Well, my experience can't be worse. So that just made me feel loads better. Thanks. And I couldn't have followed daddy's advice either. Doing it with a trip is necessary. Stomping on it just feels like murder.

Bookgirl said...

So, without the typos, that would have been "Let it be known" and "doing it with a trap." Proofred, Bookgirl. Proofread.

J said...

Allow me to introduce you to the meadow vole, aka Microtus pennsylvanicus (anyone care to guess where J lives? ;)).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_vole

Unknown said...

We had this issue in our attic, Hubby didnt' want to see a dead mouse so I had to do it all. We used the glue traps. We tried the more humane ones...they didn't work. The glue traps worked for us.