What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What's It Worth to You?

On New Years Day I was having brunch with the boys, and we were talking about all our hopes and dreams and goals and wishes for the new year. “But,” I added at the end of the conversation, “I’d give everything up to get a Democrat in the White House.”

“Would you give up sex?” Anthony asked me. “Wait. That’s not a good one.”

Asking the celibate girl if she’d give up sex is much like asking the vegan to give up pork. Not exactly a huge sacrifice. But he was off from there. Even though by “everything” I had meant all my other goals, this was a fun game.

“Would you give up chocolate?”
“Yes.”
“Starbucks?”
“Yes.”
“Alcohol????”
“Yes.”

Yes, yes, and yes. And I realized that there’s precious little I wouldn’t give up to see a Democrat elected in November, I’d give up Diet Coke. I’d give up my car. I’d give up shopping. I’d give up pleasure reading. I’d give up television. As long as we’re just talking from here through the election, I’d give up my friends. And my family. I’d even, wait for it, give up Ella. Now you know how serious I am.

If someone waved a magic wand, and told me that my sacrifices could guarantee a Democratic win, could make sure that our party would get a chance to fix what’s broken in this country, the list of what I would give up encompasses basically everything except my job, my apartment, enough food to eat, and enough clothing to cover me. (Yes, I’d even give up the leopard-print shoes.)

I’m not pretending the Democratic candidates are perfect, or even ideal, but they’re ours, dammit. And they certainly can’t make things worse. There’s a great conversation over at Left Side of the Moon on the Democratic candidates, and I already blathered on there, so I won’t do it again, but if you’re interested, check it out. Warning, if you’re NOT voting Democratic, don’t bother. It’s a viciously anti-Republican crowd over there, and we like it that way.

So now all that said, there is no magic wand. And the only sacrifices I can make that will make a bit of difference to the election are time, energy, and money, all of which I fully intend to pitch in to the cause. So thankfully, I won’t have to give up my lattes, my loved ones, or my favorite shoes. But I would if I had to. I swear.



p.s. This bumper sticker is hanging in Grand Central. God, I love New York.

4 comments:

Diosa said...

I am so with you. There is not much I wouldn't give to see a Democrat in office. And like you said, none of the candidates are perfect, but there's a big difference between perfect and starting a war in a country we cannot stabilize, destroying the economy, and continuing the downward spiral of health care and education. And thanks for the plug.

J said...

I bought an 'Elect A Democrat in 08' bumper sticker today.

And I do not do bumper stickers.

Anonymous said...

love it! where can i get one of my own? can i ask why are the republicans even trying? its a given next up is a democrat...just do we want hilary or obama?

Anonymous said...

I hope melissa is right. Fingers crossed, but after last time, I really worry we'll fumble it again. And yes, I'd give up Starbucks for a win. Anyone who knows me knows that is MAJOR sacrifice.