What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Are You Ready For Some Football?


It’s finally time. I got the email last week. You know the one. The one inviting me to rejoin my Fantasy Football league. Ah, those sweet, sweet words… Fantasy Football.

For someone like me, who can watch any sport but only really follows one, the period between the Super Bowl and August is one long, lonely time. Sure, there are other sports. But I don’t want other sports, dammit. I want mine. I want to be able to spend 11 hours on a Sunday on my couch drinking beer and watching whoever happens to be playing. I want to talk about football with guys and see that dawning respect in their eyes as they realize. ”Wait… She knows as much about this as I do.” I want to be in a bar with my girlfriends, talking about the game, and watching it work its magic as men around us realize we know what we’re talking about, and it sings its siren call, drawing them in. I want to be at the stadium, getting there hours early to tailgate. Good weather, bad weather. I don’t care. I just want to be there.

So welcome back, boys. All you players and fans. Even those of you who know less about it than I do, I’ll fake it if you’re cute enough. Bring on the commercials that make me laugh out loud, the commentators ribbing on one another like they’re back in the locker room, the ex-players who impossibly look even better in their suits than they did in uniform. Come on, boys. Come to mama. Are you ready for some football????

5 comments:

Working Mom said...

I am right there with you (except for the fantasy football part - I've just never gotten into it). I cannot wait for the season to begin! And there is nothing like the look of admiration in a man's eye as you discuss the holes in the Jets defensive line. I don't know what surprises him more - that I know the phrase "middle line backer" or that I care whose playing there!

Diosa said...

You make me almost wish I liked football. Almost.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Liz has been trying to get me to go to an OSU Football game for years. He wants to go early and tailgate and do the whole deal. It sounds like hell to me. But if you like it this much, if you say it's this much fun - I'll try ONE game this year. For you Bookgirl, just for you. But don't tell Mr. Liz because I'm going to be telling him it;s for him.....

Bookgirl said...

Working Mom -- Welcome to the party! You know, for many men that could be considered foreplay. Middle linebacker, on-side kick, pass interference.

Diosa -- You just don't know what you're missing.

Liz -- You can tell Mr. Liz whatever you need to. You and I know the truth. Just don't let him suck you into doing all the work. He does just fine without you. He can do the same with you there.

Unknown said...

There is nothing I love more than our Football calls...WE will never forget the coffee Luc so lovingly made us now will we? Yet another thing I love about you and I'm sure CJ will too.