What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

My Boys


Does anyone else watch the show My Boys on TBS? It’s one of my favorite shows on television. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I’m not one of those tv snobs who only watches one or two shows. We watch a lot of television in my house, and get every single penny out of our DVR. So the bar might not be set as high for me as it is for some. But still, I love this show.

My Boys centers around P.J., a twenty-something sportswriter who covers the Cubs, and her close-knit group of guy friends. Great characters, sports, and sarcasm—it’s like a show made in Bookgirl heaven. I can’t entirely relate, because I’ve always been the kind of girl who spends most of my time with other girls. I grew up in an all-female family, joined a sorority as soon as I could in college, and even was placed in the all-female dorm as an R.A. I work in book publishing, not exactly a bastion of the straight man. But I don’t have superpowers either, and I still like Heroes.

The friends are a laid-back, slightly dorky group whose social life revolves around poker night at P.J.’s apartment and hanging out at the local Irish pub. In a recent episode, when one of their friends goes over to the dark side—turning into a hipster club kid—they do the only logical thing under the circumstances. They hold a douchebag intervention. Brilliant. Just freaking brilliant. When was the last time you heard the word “douchebag” on television? Not just once, repeatedly. In almost every episode. And this is basic cable. I love the witty dialogue, the banter, the hot friend eye candy. But this episode alone is enough to win me as a fan for life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't say I've seen it, but perhaps I'll check it out. We tend to go for slightly edgier stuff on the pay channels. Have you seen Dexter?

Anonymous said...

Oh! I forgot Californication! Have you seen that? My favorite new show, hands down.

Bookgirl said...

I've never seen Dexter, but Californication had me at hello.

Anonymous said...

Dexter is more dark, twisted, but equally engaging. Grab Season 1 from Netflix. Season 2 starts 9/30.

Anonymous said...

Saw this link and thought of your post today.

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3765

Interestingly, I only watch 3 of these.

Bookgirl said...

Alarmingly, there are only four on that list I DON'T watch. I clearly watch way too much television.

This weekend my roommate handed me the fall preview issue of Entertainment Weekly and asked me to go through it to decide what I wanted to DVR. There are 2 of us, you can only DVR 2 shows at a time. It's a delicate dance. I came up with an elaborate rating system.
A star means that's my pick for that time. I'd fight for it if need be.
Half a star means I'd like to watch it, but if you have things you feel strongly about, eh... Go for it.
A question mark means I don't want to use this for my pick, but I'm interested. If you don't have anything you want at that time or you want to see it too, let's give it a try.

Pats football on Sunday nights or Mondays, of course, trumps all previous picks.

What does this tell you? I'm an ever bigger geek than I admit to publicly.

Bookgirl said...

And Anonymous, give me a hint here. Do I know you? Can we play 20 questions? If I get it right do I get a prize?

Part of me likes conversing with an anonymous somebody. But the rest of me is so... freaking... nosy that it's killing me. ( :

Anonymous said...

Isn't anonymity fun?

20 Questions? I'll have to consider that.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Californication great last night? LOL

Bookgirl said...

I haven't seen it yet. But it's in the queue.

Anonymous said...

lol

That comment will make much more sense once you view the episode.

Sincerely,

Bill Sussman

Bookgirl said...

I saw it last night. That show is just brilliant. Wouldn't you love to have Hank over for dinner? I love snarky smart, as long as I'm in on the joke and not the object of it.

And even though I'm a blogger, and clearly my pieces on dieting and fantasy football aren't going to get me invited to join a think tank any time soon, I really agree with what he said about the electronic age corrupting the language.

I feel like the written word is the written word no matter the medium, and the same rules apply. Maybe it's the English major in me, but I use the word whom in emails. My friends tease me that my text messages are always grammatically correct and use punctuation. Even though the internet has given just about everyone a voice, we all get to choose which voices we tune into. The blogs I read are smart and funny, and without exception well-written.

Okay, I'm stepping down now from my language purity soapbox. LOL.