What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Monday, August 6, 2007

Expecting


I have big news, my friends. Big, big news. My little family is about to get an addition. Yes, I’m expecting. It’s due September 2-—my bouncing baby Jetta. Lots of excitement in my house, people.

I was doing just fine with public transportation, until my dad lent me his car for the month of July. And then I remembered how much fun driving was, and how much I loved being able to hop into the car and go wherever I wanted to. “A car in New York City is a luxury,” I lectured myself. “You don’t need one.”

But that’s when I saw her. She’s cherry red. Red is my favorite color. She’s standard. I love driving standard. She has all sorts of things on the dashboard that light up and that I can learn how to use. I love pretty lights. Could all these things be coincidence? No, no they could not. Which left only one other explanation. God WANTED ME to have this car.

I bought it in Rhode Island from Sarah’s brother-in-law. Another plus, since if his twin brother is married to my best friend, and he knows he’s going to have to see me FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, there’s a 0.0% chance that he’d sell me a lemon. I’m going home Labor Day weekend because we’re taking the kids away for Ella’s birthday, and I’ll pick it up then. She gets a trip to New Hampshire. I get a new car. Everybody wins.

10 comments:

Diosa said...

Enjoy the new car. VW's are so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh - that is soooo exciting! I love a new car.

Mostly I love the red lights in the dash. At night when your 'rollin with the homies' the red lights are extra fun.

My Audi has the same red lights and the same flip up key. I love the flip up key. You will, too, I just know it.

Bookgirl said...

I know it's ridiculous that this should happen at age 32, but it's the first car I buy myself. My parents gave me their old car when I moved to New York, and then I just drove it until it died.

And you're right. When I first saw the flip key, I actually giggled out loud. And the red lights. Pretty.

Unknown said...

Have you thought of a name yet?

Bookgirl said...

I had decided to name her Ruby, because Sarah's favorite minivan ever, the red one with the leaopard seats, was named Ruby. And I thought it would be a nice homage. But now I can't decide. Is she more of a Scarlet? Or a Scarlett? Or a Cherise? I'm torn. I may have to get to know her first, before I make a firm decision.

Anonymous said...

I just want to add that it is a SPORT model. Yup, that's right! There are special hubcaps and a sunroof on that baby. You really are super cool. Enjoy--Amy(the car's previous mommy)

Bookgirl said...

Now that I know about the special hubcaps, what's the over/under on how long it'll take for them to get stolen? Are we talking days or weeks? And Sarah had this to say about the sunroof "You can't look up while driving." Thanks, Sarah. Nice looking out.

Unknown said...

Really Sunroof + Bookgirl=disaster. Momma loves you too much for that to happen. I still vote for Ruby. Really you've met her.

Bookgirl said...

Yeah, I realized it was official when I started thinking of her as Ruby. There's no turning back now.

Anonymous said...

i nearly had heart failure..
i hadn't read ya blog in a bit and i just saw this i'm expecting..and ya know i'm not smart--i thought u were having a baby..i'm a freakhead.. but anyways--CONGRATS
-dram