What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Glad We Have Our Priorities Straight

R.L. White, president of the Atlanta NAACP, gave a statement yesterday saying that Michael Vick should be allowed to return to football. And I sincerely hope that someone higher up in the chain of command chewed that guy a new asshole. When I first heard about it I just read the headline, as so many people do, and I thought that the NAACP as an organization had made this show of support. And all I could think was Seriously?!??!? THIS is what you’re choosing to focus on?? With everything going on in the world, this is where you’re devoting your time and resources?

According to their website, “The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.”

Michael Vick screwed up. He broke the law, he admitted he did it, he completely derailed his career. There was no injustice done to him. HE SCREWED UP. Do I think he should be allowed to play ball again? Sure. If he comes out of prison and a team decides he’s worth the risk and the media shitstorm, then all the power to him. He’ll serve his time, and then he gets to start over. Isn’t that the ideal of the American justice system?

But as fas as I’m concerned, whether or not he plays again isn’t really the point. The fact that an advocacy group chose this cause to champion is. Is that really what the NAACP was created for? To stand up behind millionaire athletes who shot themselves in the foot without any help from anyone else? They do good work, they help real people every day with real struggles, they give a voice to people who may not be heard. This is not one of those situations.

6 comments:

Diosa said...

Knowing how well I follow football, it shouldn't be too surprising that I hadn't heard about this. But I can see why it got you all riled up. Someone that speaks for NAACP should be a bit more focused on the more important issues.

The Dol said...

Seems to me the NAACP ought to focus their energies where race might actually, possibly, be an issue for someone. Michael Vick (can you hear me spit when I say his name?) has been treated far better than he deserves, as far as I'm concerned, and his race has played no part in what has happened to him. I can't even verbalize how much I despise what he did, and that it makes me ill to imagine him getting out of prison and going back to a plush job. He doesn't deserve it. The stuff he did to animals is the sort of stuff that doesn't end there: if he hasn't moved on to children and women yet, he will.

Bookgirl said...

Dol, As I wrote the bit about not caring if he went back to the NFL, I swear I actually felt you yelling at me.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit - I've been watching for you to post on my feed and I've seen nothing new. Now I come here to leave a nasty comment and realize you've posted like 6 times!!! WTF? Ugh. Now I'm gonna go read em all....

Anonymous said...

Oh, Oh, pick me, pick me! I have a real good idea!

We should take the leaders of the NAACP and breed them and then beat the young to all hell so that they turn out to be "fighters" and, oh, oh, then we could put them in a cage where they can't get out and wait until one of them kills the other!

What? You think that's inhumane? Not such a good idea? Oh, I hear ya. It would be illegal. But, pssssst....we could make a lot of money because we don't already have enough, lets do it!

On second thought, lets not do that because we don't want to be treated unfairly when it comes to the consequences, you know, the racism and all.
I would do it, but I don't want to be treated unfairly during my law suit and my return to the world after jail (if I even go).

What's that you said? Oh, I have a career I shouldn't screw up and killing people OR animals is disgusting and cruel. Yeah, true dat. I hadn't THOUGHT of that part.

Seriously. This makes me IRATE!!!!!!!!!!

Bookgirl said...

Evidently there's something wrong with the feed because according to my numbers, I've had one page view in the past week. Which would mean I hadn't even checked it.