What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Milestone Monday/Weight Watchers Ain't Easy


It's a real milestone today, kids. Not like last week's fake one. I'm down 2 more pounds this week, for a total of 15.6. I've crossed the 15-pound mark in 8 weeks. My Weight Watchers leader asked me to tell the group how I was doing it. And I'm not going to lie. Weight Watchers is HARD. I know anything worthwhile is supposed to be difficult, but seriously, if someone out there has a weight loss wand they can just wave at me, I'd much rather choose that option.

It's not as hard as it has been in the past, as evidenced by the fact that I'm actually doing it and not just saying I am. I dug out my old Weight Watchers books from the file cabinet this weekend, and I found a bunch of examples where I spent a few months and a couple of hundred dollars to end up weighing more than I started. Nice. If you ever feel like paying someone to help you gain 12 pounds, I'm your girl.

There are all the different pieces that go into it: the working out, the walking, the planning ahead, writing down everything I eat, drinking enough water to save a drought-stricken country, the incessant peeing. But most of all it's the food. The picture here might look to you like what you'd pack to go camping, but no, that's just what I have to bring to get through the day without cheating. I leave my house at 8 am, and often don't get home from the gym until 9:30, and I'm always about a second away from just saying "fuck it" and grabbing a Twix bar from the vending machine. It's like Weight Watchers Survivor. What do I have to pack to get through the day without eating junkfood, turning into a raving bitch, or jumping on the woman eating the candy bar next to me on the subway and screaming, "Mine!!!!" I dedicate one weekend morning to cooking vegetables so I have them for the week, and on Sunday I cooked a spaghetti squash, a cauliflower, a brocolli, a couple pounds of brussel sprouts, and cut up half a watermelon. If you and your entire extended family ever decide to stop by unexpectedly for dinner, we could all eat comfortably.

Right around the time I was starting Weight Watchers, one of our friends had someone call her a fatty to her face. Now she said it like it was a joke, but every woman knows there's no way to spin that. That's just vicious. So of course, having our warped sense of humor, Sarah and I just can't let it go. She made up a weight loss cheer for me: "Go Chrissy, go Chrissy, you're not a fatty." And every Monday when I call her with the week's results, she doesn't even say hello. She sees it's me and answers the phone with, "Who's not a fatty?" Yes, Weight Watchers is hard. But being able to mock it makes the whole process a lot easier.

8 comments:

Diosa said...

Wow, you've crossed the 15 lb mark! That's so awesome. It is such hard work to eat right - the planning, the shopping, the chopping, the cooking, the packing. Lately I get lunch at Panera or bring Lean Cuisine. It's only going to get worse before it gets better too. In two weeks my kitchen should be entirely ripped out.

GOOOO Bookgirl!

Working Mom said...

Congratulations on your success. I wish we lived closer so we could work out together! It would be so fun! I love the idea of cooking/chopping a week's worth of veggies on Sunday. I think I'll give that a try too! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

I can't be certain, but as I recall, fat free cool whip is only half a days points for an entire tub.

Or maybe it's the whipped topping in the spray can (which is more fun than the cool whip tub and a spoon but less tasty).

I have the latest Weight Watchers cookbook - I'm sending it to you.

15 pounds is a huge success, I bet you feel amazing. You should.

Unknown said...

Is that your for-real food or someone else's food that looks like yours? Do you know there are only 8 points there? I counted. Can I have your pretzels?

You rock hardcore! Seriously. You are showing the discipline of a saint and I admire that about you. Because it's hard and you keep doing it.

p.s. I was kidding about the pretzels. You can stop mentally cutting off my greedy little hand now.

p.p.s. I think I may have found the 15 pounds you lost.

The Dol said...

Oh my God you are awesome. Go girl. I did South Beach a while back and I seriously had the shakes for about three days at the beginning. It is so damn hard to change those eating habits, especially in the giving-things-up direction. You are seriously my hero right now.

Bookgirl said...

Thanks, guys!

It just occured to me that all these milestone posts may come across as requests for compliments, and that's SO not the case. I'm just sharing the journey. That said, I do love the encouragement. Polly read that when my type is trying to lose weight, we tend to tell other people about it, because then it becomes a social contract. I love when she explains me to me.

Di, Hang in there. You'll have a fully functioning home any month now...

WM, I so wish we lived closer. We could work out together and talk about books, and I could get baby love from Princess. Sigh...

Liz, You may have meant it as a joke, but when my roommate is on Weight Watchers, she eats Fat free Cool Whip right out of the container. It's a food group at our house.

Polly, I love you so much that I would share my pretzels with you. And not only because I have another 8 bags in my desk drawer as backup. And if I lose and you find another 50 pounds or so, we'll be just about even.

Dol, If only the good doctor was more tolerant of my love for the baked Cheez Doodle, I might never go off South Beach. My sister is diabetic, and I just bought the book for her for all the great ideas. I still make some of the recipes.

Anonymous said...

I was NOT kidding. I did weight watchers a couple of years ago.

I ate fat free cool whip, meringue cookies, Starbucks frozen mocha bars (only 2 points! and delicious) and spray cheese.

The spray cheese was a lot of points, but I just couldn't give it up. The rest of it was my way around dieting.

I'm not gonna lie, I still eat fat free cool whip for dinner sometimes. I also really like fluffer nutter and peanut butter on a spoon.

I really like weight watchers a lot. It's the only diet that has ever worked for me. I just learn to like the zero point foods and eat them like crazy if I have to and that works for me. And we are the same type, so I'm guessing we may be similar....

The best thing that Weight Watchers did for me was got off of my ranch dressing kick. I'm a big sauce girl. I like to dip everything in something, mostly ranch dressing. But you can't do that with WW. Now I'm obsessed with mustard and Lite Done Right! Italian dressing!

Wow, I had a lot to say.

Rhymes with Cheese said...

Ew. Imitation crab meat?