What I'm Reading

Stardust by Joseph Kanon
Coming out in the fall, the next novel by the author of The Good German. It's so good I kinda want to lick the pages.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Powder Puffs


Actual conversation from this weekend:
Guy at party: I can’t wait for football season to start.
Me: Me either.
Guy: Yeah, right.
Me: No, seriously. Me either.

Yes, I’m a girlie girl. I love shoes and make-up and anything pink. Sometimes I paint my nails while I watch the game. But I love me some football. And tonight’s my fantasy draft. I’m a little nervous—this is the first time we’ve done a live draft. I’m used to doing it at home, in front of my computer, where no one can see me frantically pawing through lists and doing last minute NFL.com searches before I make my pick. I have second pick this year, which should make me happy, but I had first pick last year and came in last in the league, so I’m not counting unhatched chickens. (Damn you, Madden Curse. Damn you!)

The actual season kickoff may be next week, but my season starts tonight. My team, as it is every year, is the Providence Powder Puffs, for the sheer pleasure of imagining one of the guys in the league having to tell his buddy, “Dude, I lost to the Powder Puffs this weekend.” He he he. That’s not going to stop being funny any time soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Chris made me watch the Bengals last might. They were playing Atlanta. So I had to hear about Vick ALL NIGHT. Ugh.

Then there was this thing about some guy TRYING to be the first Japanese player in the NFL. I could not for the life of me comprehend why he was TRYING if he was playing. So my Chris explained that this was pre season game so he hadn't made the team yet.

Bookgirl, I'm so confused. Can anyone tryout in the preseason games? Thats re-effing-diculous.

Football is beyond me, way beyond me.

Maybe Polly can research why you love it and I can't even begin to understand it. were the same type, for Pete's sake! I should atleast be able to grasp it!

Unknown said...

The social aspects, Liz. Bookgirl is a sucker for the comraderie of the game.

Bookgirl said...

Liz, I'm very proud of you for paying attention for Chris's sake. Not just anyone can try out, no. But the team can carry more guys on their roster during preseason than they can during the regular season. So they can give guys a try, see how they do, and then cut them after preseason. So just because he played this week doesn't mean he's on the team.

The Dol said...

We have NFL Direct Ticket, so I will be surrounded by the sounds of football again this season. And the sounds will be one volume--LOUD--because my father-in-law is nearly deaf.

Go Chargers!